The Atlas HO Trainman Cupola Caboose Ferrocarril de Pacifico 15216 models the cupola caboose, which supposedly was invented in 1863 by T. B. Watson, a Conductor on the Chicago & North Western Railway, It was called a "cupola" caboose because an extension was built on top of the caboose with windows and seating for the crew, which enabled the crew greater visibility of the train in front of them (A "cupola" is defined as a structure built on top of a building as a lookout or to admit light or air).Cupola cabooses became the "standard" design for the caboose during the 19th and 20th Centuries. Newer designs such as bay window cabooses and extended vision cabooses (a type of cupola caboose) began replacing the cupola caboose in the late 1920s. However, the cupola caboose remained popular for many years after the new styles were introduced.
Road Name and History:
Ferrocarril de Pacifico: The Ferrocarril de Pacifico is a Mexican private railroad company incorporated in 1950. The company's major route was from Nogales, Sonora (across from Nogales, Arizona, USA) to Guadalajara, Jalisco. In 1984 Ferrocarril de Pacifico was absorbed into National de Mexico, the national government-owned railway of Mexico. In 1998, when much of the Mexican rail system was sold to private companies, the former F de P route became part of Ferromex, a major Mexican privately owned railroad.
Side Note: Grupo Mexico owns 74% of Ferromex. Union Pacific owns 26%.
We recommend this product for Ages 14 and Up.