The Atlas HO Trainman Cupola Caboose Lehigh & Hudson River 13 models the cupola caboose, which supposedly was invented in 1863 by T. B. Watson, a Conductor on the Chicago & North Western Railway, It was called a "cupola" caboose because an extension was built on top of the caboose with windows and seating for the crew, which enabled the crew greater visibility of the train in front of them (A "cupola" is defined as a structure built on top of a building as a lookout or to admit light or air).Cupola cabooses became the "standard" design for the caboose during the 19th and 20th Centuries. Newer designs such as bay window cabooses and extended vision cabooses (a type of cupola caboose) began replacing the cupola caboose in the late 1920s. However, the cupola caboose remained popular for many years after the new styles were introduced.
Different Road Number than the Image.
Road Name and History:
Lehigh & Hudson River: The Warwick Valley Railroad was chartered in 1860 and by 1862 had built a line between Warwick and Greycourt, NY. The railroad was extended to Belvidere, NJ, on the Hudson River to serve iron mines, as the Lehigh & Hudson River Railroad. In 1882 the Warwick Valley and Lehigh & Hudson River Railroad merged to form the Lehigh & Hudson River Railway. Initially serving agriculture, coal, and mining interests, additional extensions to Maybrook, NY, and Phillipsburg, NJ, made the L & HR a "bridge line". The Lehigh & Hudson River was owned by a group of major railroads in the northeast- Jersey Central, Reading, Penn Central, Erie-Lackawanna, and Lehigh Valley.In the 1960s traffic patterns slowly squeezed the L & HR out of its "bridge line" role. and in 1976 together with its owners the railroad entered Conrail.
We recommend this product for Ages 14 and Up.