The Atlas HO Master 1932 ARA Box Car Chesapeake & Ohio 7000 models the 1932 ARA box car. The American Railroad Association (ARA), the agency that managed the US railroads during World War I on behalf of the US Government, sought in the 1920s to design a new all steel box car that could serve as a standard for the industry. First introduced in 1923, it was not until the 1932 all steel box car was introduced did the railroads accept a standardized design. Although later designs, such as the 1937 AAR design would prove more popular, the 1932 car was truly revolutionary. For the first time, railroads bought a box car "off the shelf" with all railroads using basically the same design. Previously Mechanical Department's had specified individual designs per railroad.
Road Name and History:
The Chesapeake & Ohio Railway: The Louisa Railroad was chartered in 1836 to build a railroad into Louisa County, Virginia. By 1850 under the name Virginia Central the railroad reached Charlottesville, VA. Westward expansion was disrupted by the Civil War but the railroad survived and as the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad was purchased by Collis Huntington in 1869. Conceiving the C&O as a transcontinental extension of Huntington's Southern Pacific Railroad, under his leadership the railroad continued to expand, reaching the Ohio River in 1873. During 1875 the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad went into receivership and emerged as the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway. In 1888 the C&O reached Cincinnati. Also in that year Huntington lost control of the road. By the turn of the 20th Century Chesapeake & Ohio Railway had become a major coal hauler and a very successful railroad. With financial muscle the C&O continued to grow, purchasing the Pere Marquette Railroad in 1930 and taking control of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in 1963. Successful until its end, the C&O merged with Seaboard Coast Line in 1987 to become the mew mega-railroad CSX. Most of C&O's route structure are operating main lines in the CSX system. Two important cities- Newport News, VA (as a seaport for coal) and Huntington, WV (as a major yard with shop facilities) were developed by C&O.
Different Road Number than the Image.