The Atlas HO Silver GP40-2 Locomotive Ontario Northland 2202 models the ElectroMotive Division of General Motors' GP40-2 diesel locomotive. The GP (General Purpose) Hood Type Road Switcher GP40-2 was a very successful model for EMD. Known for its reliability, the major improvements over the GP40 was increased use of modular electronics. The four axle GP40-2 is powered by the EMD 645E3 prime mover with 16 cylinders rated at 3,000 hp. The railroads found the higher horsepower per axle of this turbocharged diesel locomotive better suited for higher speed freight trains. Built from 1972 to 1986, EMD built 1,143 units. Many are still in service today.
Road Name and History:
Ontario Northland Railway: The Ontario Northland Railway began as the Temaskaming & Northern Ontario Railway, an Ontario Crown Corporation, to develop the Lake Temaskaming and Lake Nipissing regions of Northern Ontario. Construction commenced in 1903. Building through the rough terrain of the Canadian Shield, Cochrane was reached in 1909 and the line to James Bay at Moosonee was completed in 1932 as a Depression-era jobs project. In 1946 the road's name was changed to the Ontario Northland Railway. The ONR was critical in opening parts of Northern Ontario to mining and timber development, and in this isolated region has also provided passenger rail service. The Province of Ontario decided to privatize the ONR in 2000, and in 2012 a plan to divest the ONR was announced. Public opposition from Northern Ontario caused the Provincial Government to reconsider, and in 2014 a decision was made to retain the Ontario Northland as a provincial entity. It continues to serve Northern Ontario to this day.